PIR DECISION DELAYED AGAIN

Unfortunately, the decision on PIRs didn’t happen yesterday – and it seems it could still be a little way off.

Bunheang Ung's cartoon resized

Mr Steve Gibbons, Federal MP for Bendigo (whose electorate encompasses one of the major printers) released this to the media late last week:

15th October 2009

Decision soon on book imports

A decision on whether the Rudd Government will implement a Productivity Commission recommendation to remove parallel import restrictions affecting the publishing and book printing Industries, should be resolved by the end of October, according to Federal Member for Bendigo, Steve Gibbons.

Mr Gibbons said there had been a series of consultations with stakeholders over the past five weeks and almost all have argued for no change to the current arrangements.

“I met with Minister Craig Emerson in Sydney last week with senior representatives from McPhersons Print Group Maryborough and Griffin Press Ltd from Adelaide, both indicating their strong opposition to any substantial change to the current arrangements”.

“The Minister has met with representatives from the Authors, Publishers, Unions and Printing Associations over the past five weeks and all have indicated their strong opposition to any major change in the current arrangements”.

Mr Gibbons said he had successfully moved a Notice of Motion to discuss the matter at the Labor Governments Caucus meeting scheduled for Tuesday October 20 but may have to defer the discussion and vote until the following Tuesday October 27.

“The last Senate Estimates process for the year will commence on Monday October 19 until Friday the 23rd and this means most Labor Senators will be unable to attend the Caucus meeting when the discussion and vote takes place”.

“We will make a final decision on whether to defer the Caucus discussion and vote next Monday”, Mr Gibbons said.

*   *   * WE AT SAVING AUSSIE BOOKS WILL ENDEAVOUR TO KEEP YOU  UP-TO-DATE WITH WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THIS ISSUE!

IN THE MEANTIME WE WILL CONTINUE WITH OUR PLANNED BLOG POSTS. TODAY’S POST IS BY FIRST-TIME NOVELIST, NICOLE MURPHY.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “PIR DECISION DELAYED AGAIN

  1. And good on you, Michael; why not take advantage of the sites cynically trying to drive their competitors out of business? Why not support the overseas publishing houses who knowingly print far more books than they can sell, in order to get a cheaper unit price? The Cree Indian prophecy never rings so true as when I hear from people like you:

    Only after the last tree has been chopped down
    Only after the last river has been poisoned
    Only after the last fish has been caught
    Only then will you find that money can not be eaten

  2. It appears the writards have won a pyrrhic victory thanks to a gutless decision. However, it won’t affect me. I already buy my books, CDs and DVDs overseas from sites with low postage, taking advantage of a strong $A.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s